“The principal forms of our physical and social environment are fixed in representations…and we ourselves are fashioned in relation to them.” - Serge Moscovici

Sunday, May 29, 2011

"Move over Naomi..."


This goes a few weeks back to when we were talking more about race, but I just read about this and I thought I'd share:

Naomi Campbell is apparently suing Cadbury for this ad.

"I am shocked. It's upsetting to be described as chocolate, not just for me, but for all black women and black people. I do not find any humour in this. It is insulting and hurtful."

2 comments:

  1. I think a good question to ask is, would this ad make sense with a non-Black model's name? For example, "Move over Gisele, there's a new diva in town" and then show a chocolate bar. I think not. Another interesting thing to note is that women's make-up also tends to be named after food for women of color - honey, chocolate, caramel, etc. You don't see "marshmallow" or "vanilla" for fair skin. It's odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting point about "marshmallow" and "vanilla." Instead, I see shades like fair, classic fair, ivory, beige, etc., mostly words that actually describe color. While in reality, things like chocolate and caramel take on a range of colors. As far as if the ad would have worked with Gisele instead, I think it would have worked maybe slightly less effectively but would still get the point across. You can bet Cadbury will argue that her race had nothing to do with her name being selected.

    ReplyDelete