“The principal forms of our physical and social environment are fixed in representations…and we ourselves are fashioned in relation to them.” - Serge Moscovici

Monday, May 2, 2011

White Girl Problems

Time Magazine listed White Girl Problems as one of the top 140 Twitter Feeds, and described the account by saying this: "Obnoxious, condescending and frivolous, @whitegrlproblem is the epitome of the urban socialite you love to hate. Her "problems" usually center around nothing more than boyfriends, yoga and diets — which, admittedly, doesn't sound all that interesting, until you remember that those topics drove both Sex and the City and The Hills for six seasons. But unlike those other "white girls," this Twitter feed is in on the joke of just how silly these problems are."

Visit the Twitter page to read more:

http://twitter.com/#!/whitegrlproblem

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I've actually seen this twitter feed. I've seen people on facebook start to use the twitter hashtags on their statuses as jokes. A true facebook status from a friend of mine recently: "After this weekend, I feel like I should take better care of myself. Just kidding. #whitegirlproblems." This is particularly funny to me because I know her and what she did that weekend, but I actually found the twitter feed to be kind of boring and uncreative. I've seen much funnier #whitegirlproblems. These usually reference very similar content to the "Stuff White People Like" blog, e.g. espresso and yoga class. It really makes you think about stereotypes and how people are viewed.

    ReplyDelete